San Diego Workshop
Day One: Design & Build - Saturday, February 14, 9am-5pm
Day Two: On & Off-grid Systems - Sunday, February 15, 9am-5pm
Ready to change your world?
Join seasoned tiny house builder and designer, Jay Shafer and experience a whole new way of thinking about house design and the spaces we live in. For the first time ever, you can attend one or both days of the workshop. This is a unique opportunity to gain knowledge while sharing your ideas and experiences with other tiny house enthusiasts!
DAY ONE: DESIGN AND BUILD WORKSHOP
Jay will give an overview of tiny house design, building, and regulations, while tackling some of the faulty building information that has been disseminated throughout the tiny house community. This will be a day of intensive learning, tiny house discussion, and Q&A.
What you’ll Learn:
- House Plans: What to look for and how to read them!
- Codes, Zoning, and Loopholes: The five ways to meet or beat the building codes and zoning restrictions that can make living simply seem way too complicated.
- Building Overview: How to build your own tiny house from trailer (or foundation) to roof and everything in between.
- Get guidance and tips for each stage of your project so you can go home with the confidence to build your own tiny house.
- Jay Shares his Biggest Mistakes Ever: Learn how to identify and avoid these common mistakes and pitfalls in your own design and building process.
- Get advice and tips on how to select the best materials for your project.
DAY TWO: ON AND OFF-GRID SYSTEMS WORKSHOP
Mark Thomas will join Jay for a comprehensive examination of on and off-grid systems and how to integrate them into your tiny house project. Mark is a Building Scientist and Designer with over 20 years experience supporting the development of net-zero energy homes.
What you’ll Learn:
- Integrative Design and the House as a System: The best choices for plumbing, electrical, and space conditioning tailored to your individual needs.
- Plumbing for Dummies: Normal & abnormal systems and how to adapt for changing environments.
- Water Demystified: Grey water, black water & rainwater
- Electricity: Safety, renewable energy sources, normal & abnormal systems and how to adapt for changing environments.
- Space Conditioning: Gas, wood, and electric overview; geothermal; passive solar; heat recovery ventilators; mini-splits
- How to easily avoid the potential for condensation in small houses.
- Cool Appliances: Jay and Mark’s favorite sources for refrigeration, ovens, stoves & ranges, washers & dryers, water heaters, and more!
- Sage Advice from a Poo-Poo Guru: Toilets: Flush; incinerating; composting; macerating – we’ll cover the pros and cons of them all.
Join us and get inspired!
Come together with other tiny house enthusiasts for what’s sure to be a fun and insightful learning experience.
PLUS SOME GREAT EXTRAS!
- You'll receive a FREE workbook that's packed with information, tips, and resources only available at our workshops.
- Discounts on all of our plans and books during the workshop.