It turns out that my wife and Deek Diedricksen are both from the same small town in Connecticut. I'm out here visiting my in-laws, and he was at his parents' house on Tuesday, so he gave me a tour of the tiny house village that's been fueling his interest in wee dwellings ever since he was a kid. Two claustrophiles presented with a few dozen little houses can, it turns out, make the old "kids in a candy store" analogy seem like a total understatement. While Deek's way too cool to be squealing and skipping about, I could tell he wanted to and that he envied my lack of inhibition.

Jay and Deek

I love hanging out with Deek. In fact, I'd probably like hanging out with a lot of folks far less charismatic than he is, so long as they were willing to enable (indeed, feed) my inner-tiny-house-geek.

Tiny House in Connecticut

Connecticut Tiny Houses

Connecticut Tiny House Village

The village is near Madison, CT, just off Boston Post Road. I don't want to get any more specific than that, as I get the feeling that residents would rather not have hoards of squealing claustrophiles skipping up and down their streets. If you're geek enough, you'll find it anyway.

Thanks, Deek.

Posted by Jay Shafer — August 22, 2013

Comments

Nick Bencivenga:

Very cool! Would love to see how you’ve utilized the interiors, too. I am so intrigued by the idea of tiny houses, and would love to see how people have gotten creative with making the most of smaller living spaces.

August 22 2013 at 09:08 AM

Priyan Nithya:

Jay that is awesome! How did they get around minimum size laws for dwellings? Is it a Mobile Home Park?

August 22 2013 at 09:08 AM

susan:

ow much r these homes

August 22 2013 at 10:08 AM

Jamie K:

When can I move in?? :) LOVE

August 22 2013 at 10:08 AM

Jerry Long:

love it..want one..but til wifey says yes…I guess am stuck with a big suburan center hall colonial brick..but so would love to live more simply

August 22 2013 at 11:08 AM

Belinda Phillips:

So gratified to learn about the CT annex- gee, if I’d known, I may have stayed in CT instead of moving to NH…. where I’m having a VERY hard time finding tiny house fans. Haven’t yet actually been in a TH that’s being lived in (except for seeing Deek and Austin in Waitsfield earlier this summer), but preparing my life for that eventuality! Wonder who’s building THs in the Northeast- I mean, people who really know what they’re doing, and happy about it!

August 22 2013 at 11:08 AM

William Morris III:

tiny house or homes are nice but they aren’t build for people with a wheel chair cause i could never get to sleep cause i cannot climb a ladder.

August 22 2013 at 03:08 PM

jay shafer:

This village was built back in the 1930s, so it’s all pre-code and grandfathered in. I think the newer houses were a little larger (300 s.f.+) to meet newer restrictions. Some tiny houses (like many of my newest ones) are designed with a bed downstairs and wider doors, William. I was in a wheelchair for a few months in 2009, and that ladder had me sleeping on the floor for a while.
Jay

August 23 2013 at 05:08 AM

Ann Dever:

Jay: Have you visited Braden Castle area in Bradenton, FL ? It is like stepping off at Lilliput……very small scale homes built , I’m guessing, in the 1930 ’s. I did feel like Gulliver.
Ann D.

August 29 2013 at 06:08 AM

Kay D.:

Jay,
Is it possible to move into/build in this community still? I would be very interested. Also, are there any other small house communities being built that you know of?
Kay D.

August 29 2013 at 07:08 AM

michele:

Jay, Hubby is planning to attend Berkeley workshop just waiting to see if we can get my son in law to come too and get the reduced rate. Very excited! Followed you from Tumbleweed. Are you planning to make a trailer for your houses for purchase or partner with someone?
If we purchase his ticket now and son in law decides to go can we get an adjustment? Thanks.

August 29 2013 at 08:08 AM

CH:

id love to buy one of these in CT if you know any for sale, on the east coast.

August 29 2013 at 08:08 AM

Lisa:

Actually, this is what we want to build but with a bit more space between each tiny home, a community building and community garden!! Here’s to the new way of really “living” life and not letting it live you :o)

August 29 2013 at 08:08 AM

Deborah:

There are 7 acres of land available for a tiny house village it is in prineville, or is there a group looking for land?

August 29 2013 at 10:08 AM

Chris:

Most building codes do not allow residential single family dwellings on a permanent foundation which are the size of “tiny houses”. I assume this is why “tiny houses” are presently going the trailer route as a workaround. Is anyone aware of attempts to get a variance from a local building department, or any attempts to get the code updated to allow this “green” approach to single family housing?

August 29 2013 at 11:08 AM

Claudia:

These are delightful! My fave is the one with the rounded roof. I hope that one day it’ll be once again possible to build tiny communities like this in urban areas.

August 29 2013 at 11:08 AM

Ann:

Is there a tiny house village somewhere in ca to go see?

August 29 2013 at 01:08 PM

Kathleen:

What a beautiful place to live. About how many houses are included in the village?

August 30 2013 at 02:08 PM

martha collman:

I like the one with the rounded roof. Can I see how the inside is fitted?

August 31 2013 at 08:08 PM

Katie Jackson:

Love seeing tiny houses in CT! Beach communities have the best little old houses. People back then didn’t need a huge house to vacation in as long as they were near the water: they knew they could get outside if the needed wide open spaces! (Now, if we could just get rid of that pesky Connecticut winter and go straight from November to May, that would be ideal). Head on over to the Facebook page Tiny House Connecticut if you guys are from the area and want to connect with local fellow tiny house enthusiasts!

August 03 2014 at 06:08 PM