When you were a kid, did you ever dream about having your very own loft? There’s something magical about climbing a ladder to snuggle up in your personal retreat above the hustle and bustle of the family household. It’s the next best thing to having a tree house or secret fort. The rungs of a simple ladder almost universally symbolize the ascent to higher realms of consciousness, a metaphor that fits nicely with our perception of lofts being places of creativity and imagination, especially for children.

I feel pretty good about building the house …
it helps the earth! — Koruna Light

Ten year old Karuna Light is dreaming of her own loft while she helps her step-dad, Ram Dass Khalsa, build a tiny house for their family. Last year Ram Dass and his wife Lakshmi Light attended one of Jay Shafer’s workshops with the intent of simplifying their lives, living more sustainably, and making more time together as a family. Building a tiny house seemed like a great way to save money so that they could invest in the things they are passionate about. For Ram Dass that’s his career as a professional musician and music producer. Lakshmi is a Reiki master and talented visual artist. Both were inspired to take the leap to tiny living and, as happenstance would have it, the town to which they were relocating was the town where Jay and his family lives.

This revelation sparked a mutually beneficial arrangement for both families. Jay and his wife Marty were looking for a nanny for their two children and happened to have the perfect space for the Light family to build their tiny home. The project was off to a good start in October, but weather and health issues have delayed the Light family’s build through the winter.

Help the Light family build their tiny house!

With Four Lights Tiny House Company’s first-ever workshop just around the corner in February, we’ve come up with a plan to rally some support and help this family build their house. Workshop attendees will have a unique opportunity to put their new knowledge and skills to work right way. We’re actively recruiting those who complete the two day workshop as volunteers to help finish this tiny house. In the three days following the workshop (February 18-20), Jay will be on site assisting with the build. We’re hoping to assemble a team to get it done, so If you’re interested in getting some hands-on building experience, this is the workshop to attend!

Karuna is a social butterfly who makes friends wherever she goes. She’s creative to the degree that she can turn an old tee-shirt into a skirt and handbag using a needle and scavenged piece of thread. When she learned that we were gathering volunteers to help build her family’s home, she did what any marvelously creative and resourceful ten year old would do... she wrote an inspiring Thank You note to help get all hands on deck! If the pop-up below doesn't work for you, CLICK HERE to read Koruna's letter.

Let’s help Karuna get her magical loft. Will you join us in Sebastopol this February?

Posted by Jay Shafer — January 10, 2013

Comments

BA Norrgard:

Karuna,

I’m traveling from Dallas, Texas to help build your house! I can’t wait to meet you and your family, and Pepper. See you soon!
B.A.

January 13 2013 at 08:01 AM

KZ:

I keep clicking to read Koruna’s letter, but it never appears, I just get broought back to the top of the page…

Also, when i clicked the link at the end of the article about Ella, I thought I would get to read more about her, but that’s not what happened, I got something else.

Great idea to help the family while workshop folks get some experience!

January 22 2013 at 07:01 PM

Alicia Feltman:

Hi KZ,

The letter from Koruna is javascript pop-up. If you have pop-ups blocked, it might not work correctly. Here is a direct link to the image: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0190/6652/t/1/assets/Karunas-Letter.jpg?1679
Thank you for mentioning it!

The problem you describe regarding the story about Ella would likely be an issue to take to Tumbleweed. They are a separate entity with a different IT department.

January 22 2013 at 08:01 PM

Nina:

Unfortunately I didn’t see this until the early bird deadline passed and I just can’t afford it right now but wish the participants a wonderful experience and I’m jealous that they will have a hand in helping Koruna and her family with their house. My best to all!

January 22 2013 at 11:01 PM

Alicia Feltman:

Hi Nina! I just sent you an email to give you a heads up that the discount has been extended through the end of the month!

Also, if you sign up for our mailing list you will receive a discount code for an additional 10% off!

January 22 2013 at 11:01 PM

DGM:

Greetings Everyone! I’m D. I’ve read Koruna’s letter and I just love how pure and honest the message is. I wish that I had the means of transportation to get to where you guys are because I really want to help out. Besides, I would love to have my own tiny house one day soon.

January 23 2013 at 05:01 AM

Nina:

Alicia! I got the email. Thanks so much! I am IN. Feb 16th can’t get here fast enough! See you soon!

January 23 2013 at 10:01 PM

Bubba Pfeffer:

Hey, I’m 14 years old and I’m thinking that I want to build a tiny house for college and later on. My personal favorite house is the Marie Colvin. Reading Karuna’s letter made me want a tiny house. The only thing that is really stopping me from building is the fact that I don’t have near enough money to build one.

January 27 2013 at 07:01 PM

Lakshmi Light:

Thank you all for your interest (and for some your help!) with our building party in a few weeks! We are eager to meet you and share the learning experience Jay will be providing for us all. Wow are we all grateful for the extra hands on the job as well! What a blessing!

For those of you interested in making your own I am cheering you on!! Its not easy to raise the money to get started but its pay off is HUGE! Keep working towards the goal one paycheck at a time (and one salvage site at a time ;)).

Best wishes and deep gratitude,
the Light family