Don't Try This on Home: Carbon Monoxide, Carpenter Ants, and Termites, oh my!
I now realize that I’d been sleeping with a killer at my side
At first, I thought I was just fighting off the flu. Then, I started attributing my morning headaches and dizziness to too much libation. It wasn’t until nearly a month into feeling sick that I came to realize I’d been sleeping with a lethal heater at my bedside.
It turns out that the combination of beer, marijuana and carbon monoxide poisoning does, in fact, make for a very nasty hangover. But, considering the possibility that the CO, alone, might have been enough to kill me, I guess you could say I’m pretty lucky to have had the warning signs.
Do not install an unvented heater in a small house, or any other enclosed space for that matter. The sale of unvented catalytic heaters is, despite all the deaths and whatnot, still legal. When purchasing a furnace or a heat source of any kind, just be sure that it’s designed to draw oxygen from outside your structure and spit all its toxic exhaust back there too. There’s a good reason why some appliances are cheaper than others.
Styrofoam is considered a delicacy by some species
Don’t put foam board insulation or spray foam into your walls that isn’t treated to repel carpenter ants and termites. I did, and the result wasn’t good. Enough said.