eco-house

So, picture this: You. Basking in the sunlight of a perfect day in Palo Alto — or Tahoe — or wherever your 'there' may be.

You're having a particularly good day because you just finished moving into this gorgeous, state-of-the-art tiny house on a foundation. Keys in one hand, lemonade (or something stronger) in the other, you take stock of your incredible new home:

Exquisite features. Elegant modern design. Small but spacious. Has a loft, but isn't lofty.

Simple. Refined. And in a word: You.

Of course it's got the usual stuff:

450 Sq ft. complete with a full kitchen, bathroom, laundry, a bedroom, and a sleeping loft.

But it's not really what is has, but how it has it — sustainability built into every square-inch: Bamboo floors, recycled glass tile, solar panels. This 450 square-foot oasis is (literally) a model for the future of housing, and here you are — right where you like to be — ahead of the curve.

You look out the window. Maybe you see mountains, or perhaps the ocean. Maybe you see your main house — a nice compliment to this new office, yoga studio, or art space. Maybe your son's moving in. Maybe your mom. Either way, this is a big step and it couldn't feel more right.

Another sip of lemonade. A smile.

Then there's the kicker. That familiar excitement with a dash of fear, because the truth just hit you for the hundredth time today —

You stole it.

Okay, you didn't steal it. Not really. I mean, hey, you paid what they asked, right? So what if it was highway robbery.

But they only asked $269,900.

For everything.

EVERYTHING.

Your land. This house.

Delivered. Installed. Permitted. And so fast. How'd you get so lucky anyway?

Oh yeah. That's right. There was that link at the bottom of the Four Lights blog post. It was a little impulsive. You weren't sure the house was right for you at exactly that moment, but — what the hell — you only live once, right?

SEE THE HOUSE HERE

You came. You saw. You bought. And now, with great satisfaction, you sip.

go you.

New Avenue makes it easy to transform unused space on your property into a flexible and valuable resource. They offer a one-of-a-kind service that manages the architecture, permitting and construction of accessory dwelling units and additions including remodels, in-law apartments, independent cottages, master suites, offices, and artist studios. Learn more.

Posted by Dante Love — March 04, 2014

Comments

Jody:

This is really nice but Wayyy to expensive! Especially for the size.

March 05 2014 at 07:03 PM

Richard:

No, not for Palo Alto. Average house price per square foot in that town is $1,010. Median home values there, according to Zillow, is $1,826,000. Using the per SF value, this house should be selling for $454,000 rather than the incredibly low price of ~$270K.

It’s not the house that is so expensive, but rather the cost of living in highly desirable locations such as Palo Alot.

March 06 2014 at 04:03 AM

Richard:

Palo Alot sounds about right, considering real estate prices, but I actually meant to type Palo Alto. Freudian slip!

March 06 2014 at 04:03 AM

Aldene:

Too expensive and too big for my tastes — but I’d like to see more tiny and small house plans available in this type of design (and I’d like to see designs that include a tub). The modern design is very appealing.

March 06 2014 at 05:03 AM

Devon:

Agreed, way out of touch with most American monetary resources these days. We struggled getting a 26,000.00 home that needed work and we’re no slouches. Jeesh, methinks “eco” is for yuppies only lately.

March 06 2014 at 05:03 AM

Tory:

for land, permits paid, house fully outfitted, I think this is a decent price. especially if it is well designed, has top notch materials. the size may not matter if the way the size is used makes the person living there feel a sense of space.

March 06 2014 at 07:03 AM

Lindsay:

Land prices vary dramatically across the country. How did you figure the $269,900 total? I’d like to see an estimate for just the house + delivery to MA (no permitting/utilty hookups).

March 06 2014 at 07:03 AM

Sue:

good idea but way way out of the price range for most people.

March 06 2014 at 07:03 AM

Edith:

Well the rich need something too! Pocket change for them!

March 06 2014 at 07:03 AM

cee cee:

exactly what I am looking for. Need someone to get the land build the house and I am willing to pay for this, a good long term plan to scale down m=living and invest in NOT having bills . If I can get this done in east coast or west coat I am game. tahoe, vermont, DC or bay area sign me up!

March 06 2014 at 08:03 AM

steve:

GreenPod Intelligent Environment has a shopping cart approach with their sustainable homes.

March 06 2014 at 09:03 AM

Ellen Rennard:

It’s too bad about that really ugly staircase.

March 06 2014 at 09:03 AM

Donna:

This is beautiful. I want it!

March 06 2014 at 10:03 AM

George :

Love the use of sustainable materials as well as the crisp design. But seriously, how many folks can afford $600 / sq ft? It seems to me that the use of sustainable materials and methods isn’t really going to be mainstreamed until their prices can compete, and this package is nearly five times the cost per square foot of any custom built home in my area of Colorado.

March 06 2014 at 10:03 AM

Susan Lontine:

I could see myself in such a wonderful little home but to suggest that $269,000 is a steal makes me wonder what planet you are from. Way too expensive, more like $50,000. Lots of cost savings in not placing on expensive real estate and sharing a parcel with several of these homes.

March 06 2014 at 12:03 PM

Laura:

The 460 Sq feet of this home includes the loft in the square footage. Most tiny home plans leave the loft square footage out of the calculations. So really the floor plan is 360 square feet plus the 100 square foot loft.

By contrast some of Jay Schafer’s tiny home plans, that aren’t modern but are also charming, are around 300 square feet not including the loft space (around 100sq ft for a total of close to 400 sq ft) so although slightly smaller they are 10x cheaper.

I guess if this home comes with a lot in The SF bay area (where I live/rent right now) then 269K is a steal. Without land it’s just not very affordable. Plus you can make any tiny home with eco considerations like this in mind. 200.00 per square foot is more in line with what I’d be willing to invest when considering getting a tiny home built.

March 06 2014 at 02:03 PM

Glenn:

Can you say overpriced??? Why so expensive? I would like to see an itemized cost list.

March 06 2014 at 04:03 PM

Allan :

So you can’t see the upstairs till you buy it or show some kind of credentials? Wait this is one of those Winchester stairs themes right?

March 06 2014 at 10:03 PM