I first met Kirsten Dirksen of Fair Companies about a half-decade ago, when she came out to make a video about me and my tiny house. The response to that piece was so positive, and Kirsten had so much fun making it, that she's been filming tiny houses and blogging about them ever since. Her most recent piece takes a little of the pre-existing footage she shot of the tiny house I was in when I first met her and couples it with recent shots of my new tiny house and new tiny life.

New Video: Tiny House Pioneer Jay Shafer: Thinking Beyond Trailer Parks

Posted by Jay Shafer — November 22, 2013

Comments

BenBrown:

Jay your arrangement at the entrance AND the furo is freakingly close to the picture I have in my mind. I could see paying for plans to build exactly what you built… only challenge is I really want to do a Sun-Mar. I wonder if their tiniest one that goes on boats would work in the space?

November 22 2013 at 07:11 PM

Dawn:

Where is the little house village in the photo?

November 23 2013 at 01:11 PM

Debbie Linton:

Bravo. Nice little video. Hoping the creation of the Napolean Complex coincides with my retirement and building my tiny home, maybe the Marie Colvin, NOT in a trailer park.

November 23 2013 at 03:11 PM

fts3solarsmith:

Jay..I love what you do and thanks to Kirsten for her interest in sharing your knowledge and love for the tiny home lifestyle.. I’m currently involved setting up
eco-villages for healing/learning centers in N.C. and Missouri. I would love to talk to you and or anybody interested in these type of projects. I’m also willing to help on others with their projects of a similar nature….

November 26 2013 at 08:11 AM

BA Norrgard:

Great video, Jay – thank you! I love the cadence in your speaking. : )

I’m on track to move in in a couple of weeks; let me know when my space in the Complex is available!

November 27 2013 at 12:11 PM

Edith:

I wonder how fire safe the village and houses will be. Your houses seem all wood touching plant life. Would people be able to buy houses built already on site? And/or tow a prefabbed build house into the park? I want all the details! : ) Thanks! Exciting concept

December 22 2013 at 11:12 PM

Maggie:

As a senior there may come a time in my life, in the near future, when I need a wheelchair or a walker, or I will be unable to climb into a high sided shower, or ascend a ladder to get into my bed. Small houses, to be a worthwhile investment for seniors, and facilitate healthy mixed age communities, need to accommodate limited mobility issues.

January 04 2014 at 06:01 AM

Lisa Whisenhunt:

How about an art studio and the roof to be a barn shape to give more head room!? And the porch to jut out beyond the roof line. The front wall of the loft to open out to make it so you could be able to draw or star gaze?

January 06 2014 at 08:01 PM

Maggie G.:

OMG Jay…So perfect for single life. After loosing my only child 2 yrs. ago, my life has down-sized tremendously. Being a single 50 yr. old female with my animal…It’s all I need. I’m in Texas and would like to buy one but need to find someone to build it for me. It’s the answer to my problems!

January 07 2014 at 12:01 PM

Robert:

Seems there is no shortage of brilliant small home designs. It’s the land, zoning, and infrastructure that need a fresh approach. What have you learned in these areas? Tiny mobile home parks, portable home parks, and fixed tiny home parks are all possible in a new framework of tiny real estate development. Look forward to the online collaboration to explore new solutions.

February 18 2014 at 10:02 AM

E Marie Broussard:

Love the video and all the info on your site. Shared a post today on your Ufuro Tub: http://www.edystinyhouse.com/2014/03/11/ufuro-tub-heres-the-freaking-awesome-3-in-1-for-my-bathroom/. Thanks so much for helping me and so many others see the beauty and possibilities in tiny house living!

March 11 2014 at 06:03 PM